The country of Scotland is located in United Kingdom. To its south is England and surrounding it is the frigid Atlantic Ocean. Some quick facts about Scotland include:
- The population of Scotland is around 5 million.
- The country is made up of more than 790 islands, but only about 130 are inhabited.
- Edinburgh is the capital.
- The raincoat was invented in 1824 in Scotland by Charles Macintosh, a chemist. In Great Britain the raincoat is still called a “Mac”.
- The official animal of Scotland is the unicorn. Yes, the unicorn!
- English is the official language, but Scottish Gaelic and Scots are popular regional languages.
Text by Marvin Mathew. Image from the CIA Factbook.