Russian stretches from the most eastern part of Europe across the northern part of Asia. It is the largest country in the world, but only the ninth most populated nation. Some quick facts about Russia include:
- The official name is the Russian Federation.
- Russia covers approximately 1/8th of the Earth’s inhabited land mass!
- Moscow is the capital of Russia.
- In 1961, the country launched the first successful human space flight. Russian Yuri Gagarin was the first human to journey into outer space.
- Russia is the coldest country on the planet! The lowest temperature ever recorded is −71.2°C (−96.2 °F). It was recorded in Russia, in the towns of Verkhoyansk and in Oymyakon. Brrr!
Text by Alice Baudoin & Emily Watson.