India is a country in south Asia. It shares borders with Burma, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, Nepal, and Pakistan. To the south is the Indian Ocean, to the south-east is the Bay of Bengal, and to the south-west the Arabian Sea. Some quick facts about the India include:
- India has a population of more than 1.2 billion people making it the second largest country by population in the world.
- India has 18 official languages, but over 1,600 languages and dialects are spoken. Hindi is spoken by nearly 40% of the population.
- In India, when greeting someone place your hands together and say “Namaste.” This traditional greeting means, “I bow my head to you.”
- India is a nation of extreme wealth and extreme poverty. Most Indians live on less than two dollars a day, yet more than one million people living in India are millionaires.
- India has six seasons: spring, summer, winter fall, summer monsoon, and winter monsoon.
Text by Jenny M. Buccos.