China, is located in south Asia. It covers more than 3.5 million square miles and is bordered by 14 countries. Some quick facts about China include:
- China is the third largest country in the world after Russia and Canada.
- China is the most populated country in the world. More than 1.3 billion people live in China. That is 20% of the world’s population!
- Mt. Everest, the highest peak in the world, is located within the Himalayan Mountains on the border of Tibet and China.
- The entire country only has one time zone.
- Fortune cookies are not traditionally Chinese. In fact, they were first served at a tea garden in San Francisco in the early 1900s.
Text by Kat Lonsdorf & Gabrielle Pasternak.