The country of Azerbaijan is located at the crossroads of western Asia and eastern Europe. It shares borders with Russia, Georgia, Armenia, Iran, and the Caspian Sea. Some quick facts about the country include:
- The country’s official name is the Republic of Azerbaijan.
- Baku is the capital and largest city in Azerbaijan. Around two million people live in the capital.
- The country is slightly larger than the state of South Carolina.
- 95% of Azeris are Muslim, but freedom of religion is a right for all citizens.
- Azerbaijan became part of the Soviet Union in the 1920s. It declared independence in August 1991.
- The country is rich in natural gas and oil. In the middle of the 19th century, the world’s first oil well was drilled near Baku.
Text by Jenny M. Buccos.