The country of Scotland is located in the United Kingdom on the northern third of the island of Great Britain. To its south is England, and surrounding it is the frigid Atlantic Ocean. Some quick facts about Scotland include:
- The population of Scotland is around 5 million.
- The country is made up of more than 790 islands, but only about 130 are inhabited.
- Edinburgh is the capital and serves as one of Europe’s largest financial centers.
- Scotland had its own monarch until 1603. After Queen Elizabeth I died, James VI of Scotland also became James I of England, ruling both countries.
- English is the official language, but Scottish Gaelic and Scots are popular regional languages.
- The official animal of Scotland is the Unicorn.
Text by Marvin Mathew. Image from the CIA Factbook.