The French region of Réunion is an island in the Indian Ocean east of Madagascar and southwest of Mauritius. Some quick facts about the Réunion include:
- Réunion is the outermost region of the European Union.
- The island is one of 27 regions of France. Other regions of France that are found overseas include Martinque and Guadeloupe.
- The official currency of Reunion Island is Euro.
- Although sugarcane is still the main economic source in Réunion, tourism is becoming a popular source of income for the island.
- Roman Catholicism is the country’s main religion; nearly 85% of the population follows the Catholic faith. The remainder of the population is either Christian (2.2%) or other (0.3%).
- The culture in Réunion is a blend of European, Indian, Chinese, and African.
Text by Sara El-Behiri.