The European country of Portugal is located on the Iberian Peninsula bordered by Spain, with the Atlantic Ocean to the west and the Gulf of Cadiz to the South. Some quick facts about the Portugal include:
- Portugal is the oldest country in Europe; it has had the same borders since 1139.
- Portugal had the first global European empire. At one point, half of the colonized world belonged to Portugal.
- 21 rivers run within Portugal’s borders.
- Roman Catholicism is the country’s predominant religion; nearly 85% of the population follows the Catholic faith. The remainder of the population is either Christian (2.2%) or other (0.3%).
- The Portuguese were the first colonial empire to abolish slavery in 1761.
- The longest bridge in Europe is in Portugal; it is 10.5 miles long.
Text by Sara El-Behiri.