The Netherlands is located in northwest Europe and shares borders with Germany, Belgium, and the North Sea. Some quick facts about the country include:
- The Netherlands’ capital is Amsterdam, although the country’ government is located in The Hague.
- The Netherlands is part of the European Union, whose currency is the Euro. It is one of the world’s leading exporters of agriculture, but agriculture only provides jobs for 2% of the population because it”s highly mechanized. Other important industries include food processing, chemicals, petroleum refining, and electrical machinery.
- In addition to the land in Western Europe, three islands in the Caribbean (Aruba, Curaçao and Sint Maarten) are also constituent countries of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.
- The Netherlands is 16,040 square miles, which is roughly the size of the state of Maryland. The population of The Netherlands is 17 million people.
- Dutch is the official language, but most people speak and understand English, as learning languages is an important part of the education system in the Netherlands.
Text by Brittany Kulick.