Located in east Asia, the People’s Republic of China, or China, covers more than 3.5 million square miles. It is bordered by fourteen countries as well as the East China Sea, Korea Bay, the Yellow Sea, and the South China Sea. Some quick facts about China include:
- China is the third largest country in the world after Russia and Canada.
- China is the most populated country in the world with a population of over 1.3 billion; which is 20% of the world’s population.
- Mt. Everest, the highest peak in the world, is located within the Himalayan Mountains on the China-Tibet border.
- The Chinese are credited for creating the oldest known calendar in 2600 BCE.
- Despite its size, the entire country only has one time zone!
- Fortune cookies were first served at a tea garden in San Francisco in the early 1900s. They are, in fact, not traditionally Chinese.
Text by Kat Lonsdorf.