South Africa, or the Republic of South Africa, sits at the southern tip of the African continent. It shares borders with Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Swaziland, and Lesotho.
Some quick facts about South Africa include:
- South Africa has 11 official languages.
- In 2005, the population of South Africa was estimated at about 47 million people.
- South Africa has three official capital cities: Cape Town is the legislative capital, Pretoria is the administrative capital, and Bloemfontein is the judicial capital. It is the only country in the world with three capital cities.
- In 2010, the country became the first African nation to host the FIFA World Cup. Spain is the 2010 World Cup winner.
- Famous South Africans include: Nelson Mandela, Steve Biko, musician Dave Matthews, and actress Charlize Theron.
- The country is the world’s largest producer of platinum and gold.
© ProjectExplorer.org, 2007-present
Text by Rebecca Marks & Jenny M Buccos.
Image courtesy of the CIA Factbook.