Senegal is a former French occupied nation on the west coast of the African continent. It shares its borders with The Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Mali and Mauritania.
Some quick facts about Senegal include:
- Senegal won its independence from France in 1960. French is still the official language.
- The capital of Senegal is Dakar.
- The country has a population of slightly less than 13 million people.
- More than 90% of the people in Senegal are of the Islamic faith.
- Baaba Maal is a world-renowned musician from Senegal. Maal records primarily in Pulaar, a language spoken by people living on Senegal River.
© ProjectExplorer.org, 2007 - 20011
Text by Rebecca Marks & Jenny M Buccos.
Image courtesy of the CIA Factbook.